Sunday, January 16, 2011

Eddie Izzard Inspiration

Last night I watched the riveting documentary "Believe" about the amazing actor and comic genius Eddie Izzard. I have been a fan since I lived in London England and he was performing on the street in Covent Garden. I knew he was  joyfully talented and driven, but I had no idea of his history, his focus or his rock solid resolve. I'll leave it to you to discover his moving and inspirational story for yourself, but as the title of the film says, you have to believe.

In this case, struggling with good change as we leave old habits behind, it is important to not only desire healthy, joyful and life-altering results, but also to believe in one's success.

Self motivation is difficult, it takes energy and effort to be your own cheerleader. Raw food is a commitment to living with food in a new way, there are techniques to learn, equipment to purchase and old habits that you have to catch yourself in and omit.

Watching TV and seeing pizza commercials can be an odd experience. Tonight, I will view the Golden Globes drinking fizzy water instead of Prosecco. When I go to the cinema, I will not eat popcorn. Why am I passing up these "pleasurable" moments? First of all, I've eaten lots of Pizza in Italy, so I'll save myself for the next time I'm there. I've eaten tons of mediocre popcorn, so I'll avoid the disappointment.

We live with so many food-to-celebration links embedded in our daily behaviour, but they represent illusions of delight, not reality. Too often food never tastes as good as it looks or smells and we regularly feel terrible after eating. Think of that commercial where several food delivery people are lined up at some guy's apartment door as he "high fives" them all after discovering that he can eat anything after taking Zantac, a hugely successful antacid.

Let's not forget that insidious association we have to food and 'cheering up': how does that loop work? Come on say it with me: I feel_____ ( sad, depressed, lonely, frustrated) because I'm _____(alone, fat, tired, overworked) so I'll eat this ______( brownie, cheesecake, pizza, Haagen Daz) and then I'll feel better.....for a few minutes before I feel______ (fatter, sadder, lonelier and more depressed and out of control ) and on top of it all now I want to puke. @#$$%%*&*

Since I began my month of raw, my digestive system has been at peace! I am learning to eat more slowly and in the next two weeks, I am working at having my main meal at noon and eating nothing past 7pm. (I reserve the right to change this rule when I'm in Venice ;P)

I know that eating the old way has a negative impact on my system.There are the obvious visible signs like indigestion and weight gain, but also the functional stressors like high cholesterol, high blood sugar, high triglycerides and their resulting undeniable health problems.

I have already seen my blood test results since the beginning of this month, so I know there has been positive change. I am not here to convert anyone, that would be ironic and absurd. I believe that people come to personal transformation only when they are ready and for me, if not now, when?

In 2009, Eddie Izzard ran 49 marathons in 51 days....time to go for a walk!

Rosemary












No comments:

Post a Comment