Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chi-Chi-Chi-Chia with Prunes!

Chia Pudding with Prunes
Chi-Chi-Chi-Chia, where have you been all of my life?

A shocking revelation.....this stuff is sinfully delicious!  I say shocking, because ordinarily something so scrumptious must be filled with all kinds of unhealthy ingredients, but not this!  My friend, Anne, mentioned it, Rosemary asked me if I knew how to make it, so I bought a bag of Chia seeds,  searched the Internet for recipes and came up with one of my own.  I was going to add Medjool dates, but then at the last minute I thought it would be cheaper and possibly even more "therapeutic" to add prunes.  Am I glad I did!  This is incredible....I wish I had known about this when I had my assisted living center - the residents would have loved it and it would have loved them!  They used to love it when the cook would prepare prune whip for them - this is many notches above!

I didn't know much about Chia  seeds, so I researched this afternoon - it does, indeed, pack a powerful nutritional punch.  Not only does it have more Omega-3's than flax seeds, it does not need to be ground to obtain all the powerful nutritional benefits. The tiny seed is 20% protein and 16% fiber.  Long-term consumption results in lowered blood sugar, lowered insulin levels and reduced body fat!

Additionally, it is the easiest possible food to prepare....where have you been all of my life?!  Just stir the seeds into any liquid and watch it gel within minutes! Not only is it easy, it is the dieter's best friend - its ability to expand in liquid (it holds up to 12 times its weight in fluid) fills the stomach, keeping you full and satisfied for hours.

I experienced this effect after eating about a half cup serving this morning.  After my coconut almond smoothie, I decided to have some of the Chia pudding.  I won't lie, many days on this routine, I have found myself extremely hungry in between meals, but not today - I ate my salad because it was time, not because I was hungry.  From now on I will add one tablespoon of Chia seeds to all of my smoothies.  I can hardly wait to experiment with different spices and fruits, YUM!

Chi-Chi-Chi-Chia....ENJOY!!

Chia Pudding with Prunes

6 T Chia seeds
1 1/2 c almond milk
2 T maple syrup
1/2 c dried prunes, snipped into tiny pieces

Stir altogether and ENJOY!

Santé - to your health!

Sue Ansari, RN
CancerGuide
Gourmet Raw Food Chef and Instructor
Chi-Chi-Chi-Chiaaaahhhhh!!!

8 comments:

  1. Chia is amazing, I just started adding them to my smoothie when my sister-in-law visited from Alaska and added them in place of flax. So great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly what I am also going to do, Ellen! Also making crackers today with them, instead of flax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to track some of these down and try them - thanks, Sue and Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila, you will love it! Simple, delicious and so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue is on retreat with me at the Seasons of Change Retreat here in Colorado http://www.coachHeleneretreats.com and she made this and I ate it. I LOVE it. and this is a power food i will make and eat in my day to day diet...because i love how high protein it is. Thanks Sue for introducing me to this

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pleasure, Helene! BTW, beautiful retreat, beautiful people, beautiful food! Please check out, http://www.coachHeleneretreats.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. can you soy milk and banana, or is that not good combination ? Prunes and me dont get along very well...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just seeing this now, Karen. You can do ANYTHING you want! I have made this with dried cherries, flavored with pure cherry extract. Snipped dried unsulphured apricots with almond extract is delicious. Be creative!

      Delete