Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 15 - Just because it's raw, doesn't mean it's calorie-free!

Dehydrated Kale Chips - approx. 1550!
Last evening Rosemary and I decided we would convert two bunches of kale into tasty kale chips.  It was a quick conversion and within hours, I opened the dehydrator and removed those delectable, delicate green leaves of crunchy goodness.  The chips literally melt in your mouth and I must say, if I didn't check myself, I could easily eat half the batch or more in one nibbling session.  Thankfully, I had only a bite or two last evening.

Fresh Kale - negligible calories
This morning I decided to pull out the tahini, one of the main ingredients in the chip topping, to check the nutritional breakdown.  I was shocked to see there are 260 calories in 2 tablespoons.  This recipe took 3/4 cup which converts to approximately 1550 calories!  If weight is to be lost, it's better to stick with the natural product, period.  And if weight is to be lost and good health attained, one must not only eat nutrient dense food, but also move and move a lot!


Zooooooooom-ba!
We went to Zumba again  at Curves which is getting better and I was able to get my feet off the ground a bit more which is a huge improvement from the first time when both feet felt like they were stuck to the floor.  Despite the yoga mishap, I am amazed at the how much more flexible I am already.  I took the plunge and signed up for 60 days at Yoga Shelter.  We also walked this evening at the mall and again, I am shocked at how much easier and fluid my gate is since yoga.
 







Tomorrow is the start of our third week and I can hardly wait to see what good things will happen as I get farther and farther away from my old bad habits, as the excitement grows with my new found mental and physical freedom!

Sue


www.laughteryoga-michigan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment