Sunday, July 15, 2012

DAY TEN - Sweets for the SWEET!

First thing this morning, my intention - "Today I will tell myself that I am lovable.  Just because some people have not been able to love me in ways that worked, does not mean that I am unlovable.  I have had lessons to learn, and some of them have hurt deeply, but I can still love and I am still loved."

A very good intention for me, because sometimes I forget that and start beating myself up.  No beating today, just ALL sweetness! Yesterday seems to have been a "sweet" day, since I created two delicious, nutritious sweet recipes, one much sweeter than the other.

Whether a dessert, snack or breakfast delight, I don't know of anything I like any better than chia.  Not only is it packed with protein, fiber and Omega-3's, but the ease of creating with it can't be beat!
I looked in my cupboard and threw some ingredients together, lel tthem soak overnight and had enough for breakfast AND lunch!

Chia Pudding with Goji Berries

Simple, simple recipe....

2 c almond milk, unsweetened
2 T chia seeds
2 T maple syrup (or to taste)
2 T goji berries
1/2 c unsweeetened coconut flakes
1 t almond extract

Stir the milk and chia together BEFORE adding the other ingredients or you will end up with a gloppy mess. Stir every 30 minutes X2, then add the remainder of the ingredients. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish with fresh fruit and nuts....soooooooo good and GOOD for you! (or if you are like my friend, Ellen, and just can't wait, drink it down!)

Chia Pudding with Goji Berries - YUM!!



Then there was that new commercial ice cream maker that arrived the other day.  I still have the IRS work, but the ice creamer maker needed exercise - it was begging to stir!  Remembering one of my favorite smoothies, I tweaked it for ice cream. 

I first made the almond butter recipe, but thought it was too strong of banana and I won't use it the next time, because I am just not a big banana fan, unless they are straight from the skin. So, I decided to blend a bag of organic mixed berries with about a 1/4 cup of maple syrup which instantly became the MOST delicious berry sorbet and when swirled with the other recipe....AMAZING!

Berry Wonderful Ice Cream

Place the following ingredients in a VitaMix or high-speed blender -

1 1/2 c raw cashews, soaked, drained, rinsed
the meat of 1 young Thai coconut
1/2 c raw almond butter
1 frozen banana
the water of one young coconut + unsweetened almond milk to equal 2 cups
1 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
1/2 c pure maple syrup
8 Medjool dates
1 T psyllium husks powder
1/4 t sea salt

1/2 c raw cacao nibs

Blend everything, EXCEPT the nibs, until TOTALLY smooth. Place in an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's directions or simply freeze in a covered container until it reaches soft-serve consistency. Mix in the cacao nibs the last 5 minutes of processing or if you are freezing in a container, mix the nibs in at any point.   When the ice cream has reached soft-serve consistency and is easy to scoop, mix it with the mixed berry sorbet.

Mixed Berry Sorbet

one bag of mixed berries
1/4 c pure maple syrup

Blend until smooth...that's it!  (also delicious alone)

Combine the two while they are still frozen, but NOT until the ice cream has reached  a soft-serve state, so you can easily combine the two without either of them running. Spoon first one flavor, then the other to slightly combine, but NOT totally incorporate - swirl some together, but also leave each of the flavors separate.  I think I need to have another little sample!

SUPER YUM!


Santé - To Your Health!

Sue Ansari, RN
CancerGuide
Raw Food Chef and Food for Life Instructor
www.santetoyourhealth.org






No comments:

Post a Comment