Monday, July 23, 2012

DAY EIGHTEEN - Back to the Program!

I had food orders, as well as company over the weekend, so very little computer time, now to get back in the groove. As I always say, there are NO raw food police around here, just try to add as many raw fruits and veggies to your diet as possible, aim for 64 ounces of fluid daily and MOVE! Recording your food choices, fluid intake AND weight daily will also improve your results, if you are trying to lose weight.  Additionally, I find it helpful to start the day with an intention and to end it by recording your thoughts in a journal at the end of every day.

It is always helpful to make up a few recipes the beginning of each week, so you will have food you can grab quickly when you need to.  I made a BIG batch of salsa last night, something I will keep in my fridge as long as tomatoes remain in season - I LOVE that stuff!

For a little sweet treat, I thought I would share with you today one of my favorites, Chocolate Cherry Truffles.  You will need a food processor, a sharp knife and that's it!




2 c walnuts
½ c pitted dates, packed (I use only medjool)
6 T carob or cocoa powder (I use Valrhona cocoa)
1 t cherry extract (use pure extract from Whole Foods)
¼ c walnuts, finely chopped
¼ c dried pitted cherries, chopped
3 T water

Process 2 c walnuts fitted with “S” blade until the consistency of meal.

Loosely separate dates, add them to food processor.  Process until well combined.  Add cocoa powder, cherry extract – process to mix.  Transfer to a large missing bowl.

Add the remaining walnuts (if the walnuts are not chopped finely, your truffles will fall apart) and cherries to brownie mixture.  Sprinkle with water and mix well with your hands.  Chill at least one hour.

Form into little truffle-size balls and lightly sprinkle with cocoa before serving.

Or . . . you can press the mixture into a 9X9 pan. Cut and serve as is.  Personally, I like to cut and then press a half walnut into each piece and neatly round the corners of each piece around the walnut which actually takes longer than preparing and mixing the entire recipe!

This is NOT an exact science, if you don't have cherries, try substituting raisins or even finely chopped dried, unsulphured apricots.  Use your imagination and see what you come up with!

Today's intention - "Today I will search for my own truth and I will allow others to do the same.  I will value the worth of my own vision and the vision of others. We are all on our own paths, making the decisions that are right for us today."

It's ALL about CHOICES, friends - make the one that's right for you today.  You CAN do it!

Santé, To Your Health!
Sue Ansari, RN
CancerGuide 
Raw Food Chef and Food for Life Instructor
www.santetoyourhealth.org

No comments:

Post a Comment