Monday, July 9, 2012

DAY FOUR - Finally Getting into IT!

I may be a raw food chef, but I am NOT a raw foodist.  In addition to being a three-year breast cancer survivor, I am also a registered nurse, a lymphatic therapist, laughter yoga teacher, holistic health counselor, wellness coach and a Food for Life Instructor.  I have spent hundreds of hours studying with The Center of Mind-Body Medicine (Food as Medicine and CancerGuides), as well as with Andrew Weil’s Cancer and Nutrition program, so it’s not that I am not well-informed.  From so many sources, I know and fully believe that a plant-based, low-fat diet significantly reduces the risk not only of cancer, but a host of other diseases as well. The ever present question in my mind is this, why it is so difficult for me to commit? Why has it taken me until day four to feel comfortable with this 30-day raw “challenge” when I know all the benefits?  Very simple, lack of self-care.

I found a list of 25 points to ask yourself which would indicate that you do, indeed, lack self-care and of those points, the following called out loud and clear to me –

  • The inability to commit to exercise as an integral part of your day

  • The inability to ever take time to serve yourself, but the superior ability to constantly serve others

  • The inability to express that “something” you are so yearning for

  • The inability to ask for help or support

  • The inability to set healthy personal boundaries – or even know what they might be

  • The inability and unwillingness to let go of something you know does NOT serve you

  • The inability to praise yourself for a much of anything and the ability of being your own worst critic

  • The inability to take time out just for yourself

  • The inability to get out of a self-dug hole and move on

Maybe none of that applies to you, but it certainly does to me . . . however, being a part of a supportive group, sharing my knowledge and expertise with all of you is a MAJOR support for me!  Every day that passes makes ME feel better and I hope you are feeling the same.  I am busy taking baby steps toward self-care which is the heart and soul of wellness.  Four days have passed, I am down 3½ pounds and I am finally getting it, hallelujah!

Appropriately, this morning I pulled the card from Melody Beatie’s deck, “The Language of Letting Go” which will be the intention of the day,  “Today I will let someone GIVE to me.  Whether it’s a compliment, an offer to help or even a gift. I will stand there and take it joyfully.  I know that I’m deserving of good things, so I will simply say, “Thank you.”  Yes, receiving joyfully…. you CAN do it!

Below is the recipe for the quick and easy zucchini pasta I prepared yesterday which is fabulous, a TOTAL indulgent treat that I lost a pound and a half on!  In contrast to the pasta recipe from the day before, there is no need to salt and drain the zucchini before adding the sauce . . . just spiralize, shave or julienne the zucchini, add the Spicy Thai Sauce, the marinated tomatoes, Brazil nut parmesan and ENJOY!

 
Getting ready to make brueschetta. 
Cut organic grape tomatoes in half.

 
Chiffonade the basil. Very simple, I find the largest basil leaf for the bottom, pile the other leaves on top, roll them into a cylinder, then finely shave them off. 
Chiffonade is a French term meaning, to tear into ribbons.

 
See how nice and fine it is? It is a good way to break down the fibers....
ALWAYS the technique of choice for kale and excellent for basil, as well. 
And that's it, so simple and quick! I also chop again a couple of times across all of it, to eliminate long pieces.
 Place the basil on top of the tomatoes, add sea salt and black pepper to taste and enough olive oil to cover. 
Better to use a rectangular container, so you will not need to use as much olive oil.

 
I was taught to puree cloves of garlic which I really like, because then the flavor is easily spread throughout the entire recipe and NO ONE will be biting down a big chunk of garlic!

 
See, the garlic becomes a soft, thin paste

 
Mix it altogether.....and there you have it! 
It will keep for days in the fridge in an airtight container and the flavor improves with age! 
Endless ways to use this wonderful, simple and nutritious topping. 
It would be a smart thing to mix a batch of this up every week.

 
I spiralized 1/3 of a large zucchini for my dinner this evening and am dressing it with my Spicy Thai sauce that has been a staple for me ever since 2006 when I first developed the recipe during my training at 
Living Light Institute of Culinary Arts. 
The recipe is posted below. It can be used for so many things and again is a staple to be constantly in your fridge.

Rub the sauce into the pasta with your fingers, until well incorporated . . . this dish is almost dressed!



Fully dressed with the addition of brueschetta, avocado and Brazil nut parmesan from yesterday's post. Beautiful, nutrient-dense, flavor-friendly - who wouldn't be tempted to try this?


Spicy Thai Almond Sauce


6T raw almond butter
6T raw tahini
¼ c water
½ c + 2 t sesame oil
½ T toasted sesame oil
3 T tamari, low sodium
1 t turmeric
½ T crushed pepper flakes (or to taste)
2 cloves garlic, pureed
6 dates (I like medjool)
6 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
¼ c agave nectar or maple syrup
1-2 t fresh ginger, pureed (use microplane)

Blend all ingredients together, stopping to scrape sides of blender.  Add a little more water if it is too thick.  This recipe can be used as a vegetable dip, as a sauce for noodles or a spread for spring rolls.

Cover and keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. A GREAT staple to always have prepared.

Santé…To Your Health!

Sue Ansari RN
MICancerCoach
Raw Food Chef and Food for Life Instructor

No comments:

Post a Comment