Monday, September 26, 2011

The Anti-Cancer Trio....GREEN, RED and SPICY!

I can't sleep tonight, something that often happens when I have a flight.  Tomorrow I am off for the Colorado mountains and a 5-day Wise Woman retreat training....I am thinking this should have happened long ago, but better late than never.  I intend to revive, renew, resuscitate, reflect and record it all in my journal....and come home in one week a much wiser woman! 

The facilitator has been more than accommodating about my diet.  Many emails have been exchanged and it would seem that any food I requested will be there when I arrive, fantastic!  However, I always travel with my spicy nuts and seeds - they are packed and this time I am also taking a bag of Chia seeds and my favorite prunes from Trader Joe's.  They will have the almond milk...I'm just a bit picky about my prunes!   She is very excited to have me share recipes and I am always happy to do that, so it should be a great week.

If you haven't heard the latest finding, spicing up your broccoli with horseradish or wasabi greatly increases the anti-cancer properties, as the two synergistically combine forces.   Led by a researcher from the University of Illinois, the study was very definitive, even to how long the broccoli was to be cooked - steamed for no more than 3-4 minutes in order to preserve the anti-cancer nutrients lost with over-cooking (raw, even better).

The research was extremely impressive and I have been wanting to  convert my delicious balsamic dressing recipe, but until now, have not taken the time.  I decided now was the perfect time to prepare the perfect salad for my flight tomorrow.  I changed nothing in my original recipe, except I skipped the garlic for seatmate sensibilities, and added 1 T of horseradish.....deeeeeelicious!

I call this "The Anti-Cancer Trio", because not only did I combine the broccoli with the horseradish and cayenne, but I also garnished it with dried tomatoes that are high in lycopene, another potent anti-cancer food.  Please give it a try....you won't be sorry you did!

The Anti-Cancer Trio

Clean and cut into bite-size pieces, one bunch of organic broccoli.  Peal the stems and slice (no need to waste, the inner core is crisp and tasty!).  Steam for 3-4 minutes, then remove from heat and drain.

Balsamic Dressing with a BANG!

¼ c + 1 T balsamic vinegar
¼ c olive oil
¼ c flax oil
2 T agave or pure maple syrup
1 T Dijon mustard
1T horseradish
1 T miso, golden
1garlic clove, pureed (use microplane)
1 t turmeric
Pinch of cayenne
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in large measuring cup (or a blender)  and whisk together until thick and creamy.  Garnish broccoli with sliced dried tomatoes, drizzle a little dressing over all.....and that's it!  The dressing will keep for days covered in the fridge and you will have taken a step toward cancer-proofing your life!

 The Anti-Cancer Trio Salad

Santé, To Your Health!
Sue
www.santetoyourhealth.org
http://about.me/suecarteransari

 

No comments:

Post a Comment